Friday, November 11, 2005

last.fm - making the connection


Been listening to radio streams via last.fm every now and then at work. Just now, it served up James Brown's "The Boss", which is apparently on the "Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" soundtrack.

Something about the horn and guitar on the track sounded famililar. Took me a second to place it: it's the basis for smoking beat behind Nas's "Get Down."

This bit of sample-spotting reminded me to suggest we resurrect a project me and Juniorcooper discussed but never got going--spotting lyrical allusions.

Following the GFoS in the radio stream: "Better Things" off of Massive Attack's classic Protection.

1 comment:

Suman said...

Update: listening to my "neighbour radio" stream via last.fm again today. Right now it's streaming EPMD's "It's My Thang" off of Strictly Business. Somehow EPMD always takes me back to that party you guys threw at 5401. Why is that?