Saturday, August 06, 2005

Summer jams

Good to see some posts by Johnee, incl the photos.

It was a lazy Saturday morning. I had the TV on while doing some bills, and happened to come across VH-1's video countdown. Number one was Mariah's "We Belong Together". Like everyone else, I've been hearing bits of this here and there all summer. As Anj will tell you, I got a predilection for sappy but catchy R&B like that (prime example: Jaheim's "Put Your Woman First"). But I didn't realize it was Mariah, or that it was the summer jam. There's something about it that sounds familiar, as if it came out years ago. Maybe it was just the presence of that line, "If you think you're lonely now..."

I couldn't even place that line, and it took Google to remind me that it's Bobby Womack (I hadn't listened closely enough to pick out that Mariah names him in the lyrics). A nice thing is that Womack got songwriting credit on Mariah's song for that.

Odd coincidence: Google also led me to this article by Kelefa Sanneh from Thursday's NYT Arts section, about how Mariah's track is indisputably the song of the summer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Suman,
ready the article in the NYT as well. Last good summer jam I remember was Mary J. and Method Man...

Suman said...

Yeah, "you're all I need to get by", that was the jam. Truly a thug-love duet, as Sanneh put it--maybe the best of the bunch. What year was that?

Which connects to another fact I wanted to point out from Sanneh's NYT article: Mariah got the thug-love thing going with ODB--back in '95! Ten years have passed on, as has ODB. RIP.

Suman said...

Damn, just bought the Mariah/ODB collabo off the iTunes music store. Along with a couple other jams--R. Kelly's "When a woman's fed up" (isn't that the video where R is just rolling through Chi) and Sean Paul's "Get Busy".

I've stayed away from iTMS for the most part up to now...